Hi there. Here are some hints and tips to help you use your computer better. If I can help you in any way with your computer you are welcome to drop it to my office here at 42 Tarata Rd Inglewood (Next to Taranaki Civil) or give us a call on 06 756 8800 or 0220 435 947 and I will come to you. Kind Regards. Rex
How do I backup my computer?
It is really important to backup your computer so that if something goes wrong you do not lose information that is valuable to you. Think for a minute what is the most valuable information to you right now on your computer. Could I suggest that it would be something like this: your documents, your photos, your email addresses followed by your music. If you run a business it would be your accounting program and client list.
Let’s talk about an easy way to backup some of these things. You could purchase either a USB drive (sometimes called a flash drive or a thumb drive). An even better option is to purchase a External Hard Drive. These are better as they hold a thousand times more information. I think that burning information to CD’s and DVD’s is nearly a thing of the past.
Here is the how to do it.
- Plug in your USB Drive or External Hard Drive.
- Press the Windows Flag Key on your keyboard and the E key. This will bring up Windows Explorer.
- Select the drive you have just plugged in. Usually called (E:)
- Then make some new folders. Do this by RIGHT clicking, selecting NEW, Folder.
- Make some wide categories to put your information into. I would suggest making a folder called Photos, one called Music and one called Documents.
- When you make the Documents folder put a date in front of it in a reverse order. Example: 2015-05-12 Documents. This is so that next time you backup you can make a new Documents folder with a date in front of it. In a year from now you will have a tidy list of dated document folders. This also saves you overwriting your documents folder and deleting older versions of the same document.
- Look around your computer for your information. When you find information you need backed up Right Click on the folder, click copy, then navigate to your USB of External Hard Drive and paste it into the correct folder.
Why Do Computers Slow Down Over Time?
If you’ve noticed that your computer has been awfully slow lately, don’t worry, you’re not alone. It’s very common that as a computer ages, it slows down and loses efficiency. So why does this happen? Well, there are few common reasons. In some cases viruses and/or malware can also be responsible for the computers slow performance. A tune-up will get rid of all the temporary files, mismatched settings, and unnecessary startup items. If you would like a tune up for your computer contact us today 06 7568800 or 0220 435 947.
4 Passwords You Should Never Use
Security firm Imperva released its list of the passwords most likely to be hacked based on 32 million instances of successful hacking. The top three passwords all included the simple streaming of numbers: first ’123456′ followed by ’12345′ and then ’123456789′. However, the fourth most-hacked password was actually just the word ‘Password’
How to Strengthen Your Passwords
The first things you can do is increase the length of the password. Eight characters or more is good. The second thing to do is to include a mix of upper case characters and numbers. You may want finally to include a symbol such as ~ ! ^ & * or even =. Finally you may want to not use common English words such as john, and fluffy. The more random it is the harder it is to be broken.
This Week’s Special
We have this laptop on offer for the next 7 days for $817.55 inc gst (normally 917.55). It is a great laptop with a i3 processor. It has 4 gigs of ram, 500 gig hard drive, wireless, web camera and it is running the latest Windows 8.1. If you would like one give us a call and it will be ready to pick up the next day.
Bye for now.
If you would like to be removed from this publication please click reply and put the word Unsubscribe in the subject line.
If you would like a copy for your friends, email me and I will add them.